Ashley and Connor spent last week at the Boys and Girls Club of East Texas from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm every day. Ashley has done camp before, but Connor wasn’t so sure about this whole camp thing. After the first day, he was a little unsure of whether or not he wanted to return. Jason talked to him about being open and stepping outside of his comfort zone, and not complaining about things but just trying to enjoy and learn from the experience. He must have been listening because he did so much better after the first day and got an award at the end of the week for Adaptability and Authenticity. I would not typically use the word “adaptable” to describe Connor so I am so proud that he took what his Dad told him and ran with it. Now he is talking about “when he goes to BGCET next year.” As for Authenticity, what you see with Connor is what you get – no surprise there! What an awesome kid and we really enjoyed having him at the house for almost two straight weeks while they went to camp and then on vacation. Ashley enjoyed having a brother to hang out with and they got along famously. As for Ashley, she received the award for character qualities of Adventurous and Engaging. When I saw her climb that rock wall this weekend, I realized she was more adventurous than I ever thought. I am so proud that she is willing to step out and try new things. She was a real trooper at Schlitterbahn as the youngest participant and enjoyed every ride she went on. As for Engaging, well if you know Ashley, you know she NEVER meets a stranger.
I am so proud of these two kids as they met new people, tried new activities, participated in Bible studies, and had some good old-fashioned camp time together. I hope we can do it again next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment