The title of my blog comes from Ephesians 3:20 - "Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory..." God has blessed me far more abundantly than I could have ever dreamed and I am so humbled by and undeserving of these blessings.


Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Have Patience…Have Patience…

We used to listen to Agapeland’s Music Machine as kids – probably in an 8-track player!  Herbert the Snail used to SLOWLY SING…

“Have patience, have patience, don’t be in such a hurry.  When you get impatient, you only start to worry.  Remember, remember, that is God is patient too and think of all the times when others had to wait for you.” 

This song has always stuck with me because I didn’t have much patience as a kid and sometimes I still don’t, although I am getting better (I think).

Patience is one of the fruits of the spirit from Galatians 5:22-23…

“But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, PATIENCE, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control; against these things there is no law.”

Isaiah 40:31 says,

“but they who WAIT for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”

Proverbs 16:31 says, “Patience is better than strength.”

In our busy life, with two jobs (three if you count basketball), four kids, and only 24 hours in each day, it is hard to find time to “slow down” and “wait” and “be patient”.  While we were in Hawaii, I read Lysa Terkeurst’s book, Unglued (a book I originally bought for Jane E and then bought a copy for myself).  It is a practical book to help women deal with emotions in a positive way, in a biblical and Godly way.  One thing she devotes an entire chapter to is rest.  She says the Bible states very clearly that we need to pursue rest – to guard it fiercely, to guard it intentionally, to guard it even when our schedules beg us not to.  Sabbath is the time set aside for our soul to breath – a time to exhale and let it all out before God so we can establish a healthier rhythm by which to live. She says, “This is one twenty-four hour period to disrupt our typical rhythm so we’ll be set up to find our joy in the Lord.”  It is about pausing, sitting with God, and asking him to reveal some things to us.  It is about connecting with God.  How I want this in my life!

I just needed to be reminded of this as we come off an activity-filled weekend and are smack dab in the middle of another busy week with All Star practices and games, Green Acres day camp for Ashley, work for me, and basketball and work for Jason.

No comments:

Post a Comment